I had the opportunity & good fortune to interview Gary Brown, Executive Chairman & founder of Target McConnells, one of Ireland’s largest advertising & direct marketing agencies. He’s an insightful (and funny) guy.
Gary Brown founded Target Marketing in Ireland in 1990, and rapidly transformed his company into one of the most decorated direct marketing agencies in Ireland. In 2005, Target Marketing became the first Irish and UK agency ever to win the prestigious Diamond Echo award from the Direct Marketing Association. In 2011, Gary merged his company with McConnells Advertising to form Target McConnells, which is now one of the biggest advertising and marketing agencies in Ireland. Gary is also a former League of Ireland soccer player and the former chairman of the Shelbourne Football Club. And on top of all that, Gary helped launch the music careers of Damien Rice and Bell X1. I discovered Gary because he recently wrote a pointed and very funny essay called Beware the Cult of Entrepreneurism, which we talk about in this episode.
- “Beware the Cult of Entrepreneurism,” by Gary Brown
“If you want to be an entrepreneur that’s fine and indeed admirable, but please go and do something first, make a success of it, make a few bob, create a few jobs and let other people if they wish call you an entrepreneur.”
- Target McConnells advertising agency
- Screw the begrudgers… or the more profane version from Brendan Behan
- Bullshit (here’s a good book on the subject)
- “The trouble with the French is that they don’t have a word for entrepreneur” — reconsidered
- “I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me.” — Gen. George Patton
- Fail fast
- Guinness surfer ad (with horses): video
- Dragon’s Den (TV show)
- “infectious influence“
- Book: Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders, by Adam Morgan
- REO Speedwagon: I Can’t Fight This Feeling (music video)
- Zig Ziglar, marketing and motivational speaker
- Gary online
- on Twitter
- email: chairman [at] targetmcconnells [dot] com
- Disco Inferno, by The Trammps (music video)
♦ ♦ ♦
Special thanks to our sponsor: Hindenburg Systems, creator of Hindenburg Journalist PRO, the only audio editing system built exclusively for radio journalists and raconteurs. With features that automatically ensure broadcast quality results, Hindenburg Journalist PRO lets you focus on what you do best: telling your story in sound.
Hindenburg. It’s all about the story.